Wider Support

There is a variety of support available for different problems and concerns that members of our communities may be experiencing. However, we are aware that sometimes it is difficult to know what support is available, who can access it and where to go. We have collected wider support information and resources below, so if there is a scheme that may be able to help, you can find it.

Wider support illustration

Household Support

If you are struggling the cost of heating your home, or just keeping warm, then there is a variety of support available. Initially you should speak to you housing provider if you have one, and your energy company. We have collated below additional support that maybe available to you.

Young family holding 2 smiling children in terraced house street
Young family holding 2 smiling children in terraced house street

Cost of Living

We understand that many residents may be struggling to cope with the rising cost of living, particularly with food and energy costs.

There are various forms of help that may be available – from additional payments from the council or discounts on things like your Council Tax, to support from partners such as food vouchers, energy grants and help managing debt.

Your Council has up to date information on what is available on their websites.

Cambridge City Council logo

Cambridge City Council

Cambridge County Council logo

Cambridgeshire County Council

East Cambridgeshire District Council logo

East Cambridgeshire District Council

Fenland District Council logo

Fenland District Council

Huntingdonshire District Council logo

Huntingdonshire District Council

South Cambridgeshire District Council logo

South Cambridgeshire District Council

Priority Services Register

All large gas and electricity companies, as well the gas and electricity grids, offer a range of free services to their most vulnerable customers including residents of a pensionable age and those with additional health needs.

Joining the Priority Service Register entitles you to the following free services:

  • A gas appliance and installation safety check (if everyone in the home is eligible)
  • Quarterly meter readings
  • Help in moving a meter if it is in an inconvenient position
  • A personal password system for gas and electricity staff to use every time they call at the person’s home, to confirm they are genuine
  • Help if they have difficulty in using certain appliances
  • Bills sent to a friend or family member on their behalf
  • Bills supplied in different formats, such as large print or Braille, by cassette or in a different language

Some energy companies offer extra services to residents. Most energy companies require you to be on their priority service register before offering reduced bills for vulnerable customers, otherwise known as a ‘social tariff’.

The Warm Home Discount Scheme

The Warm Home Discount is a government scheme which will offer £150 off your electricity bills during the winter, or a voucher for households with prepayment meters.

The discount is automatically given to customers in receipt of means tested benefits and high energy bills. Check your eligibility at GOV.UK.

Charitable Trust Funds

Some energy companies and other utility companies have special funds to help customers who have got into debt with their service. To see if you would be eligible to apply for an energy trust fund speak to your energy supplier, or contact the Energy Advice Team.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice is a registered charity that provides free, confidential, impartial advice and support to anyone with any problems they face in their lives. Information about the support they provide is available here:

Age UK

Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough is a local charity working in the community to support older people, their families and carers. They have a range of services available, including a handyperson scheme Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough / Cambridgeshire Handyperson Service

Minimum energy efficiency standards in private rented accommodation

Landlords of privately rented properties must ensure their properties have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E or above before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.

If the property does not have a rating of E or above, the landlord may be required to make improvements to bring it up to the minimum standard. Your EPC will recommend improvements.

Check the government’s guidance for landlords about the minimum energy efficiency standard for domestic private rented property.

Privately renting or in social housing

If you are renting privately or are in social housing, there might be easy improvements you can make to the property. It can be a good idea to speak your landlord about how they can improve the efficiency of the property. The ‘Guidance and Installation’ page is a good place to find information and suggestions on what changes could be made.

Latest news

Action on Energy both hosts and supports local events, which you can read more about here.

  • Energy Savers Week 2024

    Action on Energy Activity for Energy Savers Week 15th January 2024 marked the beginning of Energy Savers Week, which is a time to raise awareness about saving energy [...]

    30 January, 2024


  • Decorative branded boarder with the Fuel Poverty Awareness Day 30th November 2023 logo from National Energy Action

    Fuel Poverty Awareness Day 2023

    Action on Energy provides an update on fuel poverty and home energy efficiency for Fuel Poverty Awareness Day Fuel Poverty Awareness Day 2023 on the 30th of November [...]

    30 November, 2023