All large gas and electricity companies, as well the gas and electricity grids, offer a range of free services to their most vulnerable customers including residents of a pensionable age and those with additional health needs.
Joining the Priority Service Register entitles you to the following free services:
- A gas appliance and installation safety check (if everyone in the home is eligible)
- Quarterly meter readings
- Help in moving a meter if it is in an inconvenient position
- A personal password system for gas and electricity staff to use every time they call at the person’s home, to confirm they are genuine
- Help if they have difficulty in using certain appliances
- Bills sent to a friend or family member on their behalf
- Bills supplied in different formats, such as large print or Braille, by cassette or in a different language
Some energy companies offer extra services to residents. Most energy companies require you to be on their priority service register before offering reduced bills for vulnerable customers, otherwise known as a ‘social tariff’.